The QEP (Quality Enhancement Plan) is NOVA's strategy to enhance student learning. It is part of NOVA's 2012 reaffirmation of accreditation by the Commission on Colleges (COC) of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New proposal: Increasing Math and Science Literacy for Non-Majors

Many thanks to the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Faculty Learning Community for this proposal.

Increasing Math and Science Literacy for Non-Majors

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a well written proposal that has great ideas.

    When I attended NOVA I was a volunteer peer math tutor. One summer one of my regulars was a Radford student who was taking math at NOVA to transfer the credit so the grade wouldn't ruin her GPA at Radford. She told me she chose her major because it had the least amount of math requirements. She said she's been bad in math since the 2nd grade so she avoids it whenever she can. At the time, I thought it was a sad way to go through life.

    I would like to see this kind of science class in the proposal but not one that is watered down. Energy is a hot topic and I am currently working on lab experiments with fuel cells. When I am finished I should have half a dozen 3-hour experiments that I can contribute to the program.

    ReplyDelete